TPP student research spans many domains, but shares methodologies and goals. Examples of award-winning theses and noteworthy research projects are shared here. We also maintain a public database of all TPP thesis titles, with links to web publications where available.
Award-Winning Theses and Student Research Stories
A Clean Energy Future for India: Arun Singh
Awarded best TPP thesis of 2017, Arun Singh’s research analyzed climate policy options for India by building and applying a model of the Indian economy with detailed representation of the electricity sector. His thesis advisor was Prof. Valerie Karplus.
- “Clean Development Pathways for India: Evaluating Feasibility and Modeling Impact of Policy Options” (Thesis)
- MIT Technology and Policy Program’s Best Thesis for 2017 (MIT News, June 2017)
- Lowering emissions without breaking the bank (MIT News, July 2019)
Health Savings of Renewable Energy: Emil Dimanchev
Research from TPP alum Emil Dimanchev, who won TPP’s best thesis award in 2019, found that health savings from cleaner air would more than pay for the cost of implementing renewable energy policies. His thesis was advised by TPP director Noelle Selin.
- Shift to renewable electricity a win-win at statewide level (MIT News, Aug 2019)
Do native ads shape our perception of the news?: Manon Revel
Often masquerading as legitimate news, so-called “native” ads, pushed by content recommendation networks, have brought badly needed revenue to the struggling U.S. news industry. But at what cost? TPP alum Manon Revel is now a PhD student in the IDSS Social and Engineering Systems PhD program. Her TPP thesis advisor was Prof. Ali Jadbabaie.
- Combining AI with passions (MIT News, March 2019)
Thesis Titles, 1977 to Present
- Ronald Adams; “Regulatory Policies Promoting Small Scale Hydropower in New England: A Policy Analysis;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Daryl Beardsley; “Resource Recovery in the Electroplating Industry: A Linear Model;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Sohail Bengali; “An Energy Assessment of Portugal's Industrial Growth Policies;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Vincent Bouthonnier; “System Effectiveness Analysis for Command and Control;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Robert Chen; “Risk Analysis of a Global Sea Level Rise Due to a Carbon Dioxide-Induced Climate Warming;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Renata Davidson; “Analysis of PURPA Section 210;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Donna DeVol Kramer; “Regulating Energy Conservation in Buildings in Massachusetts;” SM, 1982 (2/1/1982)
- Nancy Gorelick; “An Alternative Method of Toxics Control: A Proposal for Encouraging Voluntary Measures to Minimize Exposure to Chlorinated Hydrocarbon Solvents from the Drycleaning Industry and Metal Cleaning Proces;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Shunichi Kometani; “The Potential for High Strength Steels in Automobiles;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Lep Sang Lee; “The Use of Acoustic Profiling Information in Reducing Uncertainties in Sea Bottom Exploration;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Jayaprakash Lingamneni; “Strategies for Increasing Oil and Gas Production in Oil Importing Developing Countries;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- John Newman; “Measuring the Economic Effects of Deep Sea Mining on Less Developed Countries;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Scott Pace; “Engineering Design and Political Choice: The Space Shuttle, 1969-1972;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Michael Poulsen; “Development of a Methodology for Recognizing Potential High Priority Health Hazards From Emerging Chemical Technology;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)
- Joan Winston; “CAD System Evaluation Using Intangible Output Measures: Basic Methodology and Preliminary Data;” SM, 1982 (5/1/1982)