TPP student research spans many domains, but shares methodologies and goals. Examples of award-winning theses and noteworthy research projects are shared here. We also maintain a public database of all TPP thesis titles, with links to web publications where available.
Award-Winning Theses and Student Research Stories
A Clean Energy Future for India: Arun Singh
Awarded best TPP thesis of 2017, Arun Singh’s research analyzed climate policy options for India by building and applying a model of the Indian economy with detailed representation of the electricity sector. His thesis advisor was Prof. Valerie Karplus.
- “Clean Development Pathways for India: Evaluating Feasibility and Modeling Impact of Policy Options” (Thesis)
- MIT Technology and Policy Program’s Best Thesis for 2017 (MIT News, June 2017)
- Lowering emissions without breaking the bank (MIT News, July 2019)
Health Savings of Renewable Energy: Emil Dimanchev
Research from TPP alum Emil Dimanchev, who won TPP’s best thesis award in 2019, found that health savings from cleaner air would more than pay for the cost of implementing renewable energy policies. His thesis was advised by TPP director Noelle Selin.
- Shift to renewable electricity a win-win at statewide level (MIT News, Aug 2019)
Do native ads shape our perception of the news?: Manon Revel
Often masquerading as legitimate news, so-called “native” ads, pushed by content recommendation networks, have brought badly needed revenue to the struggling U.S. news industry. But at what cost? TPP alum Manon Revel is now a PhD student in the IDSS Social and Engineering Systems PhD program. Her TPP thesis advisor was Prof. Ali Jadbabaie.
- Combining AI with passions (MIT News, March 2019)
Thesis Titles, 1977 to Present
- Dana Mukamel; “Light Water Reactors in the U.S.: Institutional and Political Programs;” SM, 1977 (5/1/1977)